BNZ Home & Contents Insurance
What’s on offer with BNZ home and contents insurance?
BNZ’s home and contents insurance is underwritten by IAG NZ Limited. It can be purchased separately as home insurance and contents insurance, or can be bundled into a home and contents insurance package. If you bundle the policies together, discounts apply.
Canstar compares home and contents insurance, to help you find the right policy for you. Click below to see our comparison table, which features qualities including customer service and value for money.
What’s on offer with BNZ’s bundled house and contents insurance?
BNZ offers a package insurance option, which is eligible for a 10% discount. Bundled home and contents policies include all the same features as the individual policies, for less. The following are required for the package discount:
- Must hold PremierCare contents insurance plus a home or vehicle insurance policy
- Eligible policies must all be under either your individual, joint, trust or company name
What’s on offer with BNZ’s Home Insurance?
BNZ’s PremierCare Home Insurance covers you for sudden and accidental damage up to the total sum insured of your home. In the event of an earthquake, PremierCare will cover you for the difference between your Earthquake Commission payout and the sum insured under your policy. Some other benefits include:
- Cover for new building works (other than alterations) being constructed on your property, where the construction cost is less than $10,000
- Hidden, gradual damage caused by water leaking from internal tanks or pipes, up to $3000
- Damage to your home office
- There are discounts for every year you don’t make a claim. Claims for accidental breakage of window glass or bathroom fittings do not affect this discount.
- If you have a burglar alarm, or choose to pay your premium annually, you may qualify for a discount
- You can earn Flybuys based on the premium you pay
What’s on offer with BNZ’s landlord’s home insurance?
If you’re a landlord, BNZ’s landlord’s home insurance covers any rent you’ve lost (up to $20,000). Your investment property will also cover damage specified in your policy, which includes methamphetamine contamination.
What’s on offer with BNZ’s Contents Insurance?
With BNZ contents insurance, most lost, damaged, or stolen items are covered for their full replacement value, regardless of age. This applies to some sports items as well.
- If your fridge or freezer suddenly breaks down, or there is a long power cut, you are covered for the food that perishes as a result
- Hidden, gradual damage caused by water leaking from internal tanks or pipes, is covered up to $3000
- If you’re travelling to Australia or the South Pacific, your personal effects may be covered for up to $5000
- Children who have left home may be covered under your policy.
- Sustainability upgrades. When replacing an item of whiteware that’s less than 10 years old as a result of a claim, the insurer may pay for a more energy-efficient model.
- If you’re over 55, you won’t pay an excess or have your no-claim discount affected if you make a claim for spectacles, contact lenses, dentures or hearing aids.
- Earn Flybuys based on the premium you pay
The Bank of New Zealand was founded by an Act of Parliament in 1861. Since its purchase by the National Australia Bank in 1992, BNZ has operated as a subsidiary of its trans-Tasman owner. However, it retains local governance and employs over 5000 Kiwis across New Zealand.
This is only a summary of key benefits. Application for cover is subject to underwriting acceptance. For full details, exclusions and limitations, please refer to the BNZ website.