Qantas Travel Money Card Review
While it’s straightforward to obtain foreign currency overseas, a quick trip to an ATM, or a currency exchange bureau, can leave you at the mercy of hidden fees and exchange rates. This is when a travel money card can be your friend. Travel money cards allow you to load up on foreign currency online wherever you are, so you can enjoy your holiday without the worry of sky-high exchange rates and fees.
What is the Qantas Travel Money card?
Qantas Travel Money is a prepaid debit card facility built into the back of the Qantas Frequent Flyer membership card. You can lock in exchange rates on multiple currencies and earn Qantas Points on eligible purchases at home and overseas. However, you must be an Australian resident to use Qantas Travel Money.
What can I use Qantas Money for?
You can use Qantas Travel Money like any other travel money card. Load your card up using Australian dollars via the app or website with your debit/credit card or bank transfer. From there you’re free to spend online or in store, anywhere that Mastercard is accepted.
You can load up to ten foreign currencies onto the Qantas Travel Money card: AED, CAD, EUR, GBP, HKD, JPY, SGD, THB and USD. You can also lock in exchange rates on these currencies before you fly, to avoid currency fluctuations.
Foreign currency exchange rates vary from time to time. Cardholders benefit from locked in rates that apply when you make a transaction or incur a fee in a currency loaded on your card.
Travellers should note that although the “Credit” button is used when making a purchase or a withdrawal at an ATM, this card is not a line of credit. The card cannot go into a negative balance.
Compare Travel Money Cards
If you’re a Kiwi and headed off overseas, check out the best in money cards. Here’s a rundown of some of the most popular cards in New Zealand:
The display order does not reflect any ranking or rating by Canstar. This information is not an endorsement by Canstar of travel money cards or any specific provider. Information correct as of 20/09/23. For full pricing details see individual providers’ websites.
Features of Qantas Cash Card
Please note these features are current at the time of writing. You should check the product provider’s website and product information at the current time.
- Global use: Use the card wherever MasterCard is accepted in over 210 countries and territories. Withdraw cash from millions of ATMs around the world displaying the MasterCard logo.
- Rewards points: Earn Qantas Points on all eligible purchases overseas and in Australia.
- Double dip: Spend with Qantas Frequent Flyer program partners using Qantas Travel Money and you’ll earn Qantas Points for eligible purchases from both the program partner and Qantas Travel Money.
- Online shopping: Shop online at international retailers.
- Security: Chip and PIN protected. Suspend your card if it is lost or stolen. Protected against fraudulent transactions with MasterCard Zero Liability.
Does the Qantas Travel Money card cost to use?
Unlike some prepaid cards, Qantas Travel Money doesn’t charge monthly or annual fees, making your holiday money travel further.
The only fees Qantas charges are an international ATM fee and a small load fee of 0.5% of the total load amount (when using a credit or debit card.
- Initial load fee: $0 (no fee)
- Currency conversion fee: $0 (no fee)
- Reload fee for bank transfers/app: $0 (no fee)
- Debit card load fee: 0.5% of the total load amount
- Transaction fee for purchases: $0 charged by Qantas, but some merchants may charge their own fee
- ATM fee (overseas): NZD 2.50 AED 6.50, USD 1.95, EUR 1.50, GBP 1.25, THD: 70, JPY 160, CAD 2.00, HKD 15.00, SGD 2.50
How do I get the Qantas Travel Money card?
- Order: If you’re already a Qantas Frequent Flyer, simply request a card online. If you aren’t a Frequent Flyer, you’ll need to register before you can apply for a Travel Money card.
- Register: Register your card online upon receiving it.
- Load: Load your card for the first time via online banking or ‘Instant Load’ via the Qantas Money app or website using a debit or credit card.
Where can’t I use Qantas Money?
As a MasterCard product, the Qantas Travel Money card may currently not be used in the following countries and regions due to economic or trade sanctions:
- North Korea
If you attempt to use your card or withdraw cash from an ATM in any of these countries, your request will be declined. New Zealand also imposes its own sanctions from time to time; please check the Ministry of Foreign Affairs and Trade for details on the countries you intend to visit.
Eligibility to apply for Qantas Travel Money card
To apply for the Qantas Travel Money card, you must meet the following criteria:
- At least 16 years old
- An Australian citizen
- Member of Qantas Frequent Flyer program