Travelex Money Card Review
While it’s straightforward to obtain foreign currency overseas, a quick trip to an ATM, or a currency exchange bureau, can leave you at the mercy of hidden fees and exchange rates. This is when a travel money card can be your friend. Travel money cards allow you to load up on foreign currency online wherever you are, so you can enjoy your holiday without the worry of sky-high exchange rates and fees.
What is a Travelex Money Card?
Founded in 1976, Travelex is a foreign exchange company that has been helping international travellers shop and spend around the globe for decades.
In 2011, the company partnered with Mastercard to create its current Travelex Money Card.
What can I use a Travelex Money Card for?
The Travelex Money Card is a multi-currency travel money card that can be used wherever Mastercard is accepted.
The Travelex Money Card is a safe and convenient alternative to cash and can be used both instore and online.
Some key features of a Travelex Money Card include:
- Load or top-up with NZD
- Load up to eight additional currencies
- Move money between currencies on your card 24/7
- Contactless payment option
- No international ATM withdrawal fees
- Competitive exchange rates
- Optional additional emergency card 24/7 global assistance
- Exclusive discounts with Mastercard Priceless Cities benefits
- Maximum card limit of NZ$75,000
How do I get a Travelex Money Card?
Purchasing a Travelex Money Card is a fairly straightforward process.
You can order a card online or in-store. Either way, you need to collect your Travelex Money Card personally, instore. Note that when you order your card, you can add an additional emergency card. This is the only time you can add an emergency card.
If you order your card online, you need to wait 1-2 days before collecting your card in-store, when you will need to present the following documents:
- Proof of address
Or, if you’re purchasing your card instore, you’ll need to bring:
- Passport + proof of address or;
- NZ driver’s licence + supporting ID + proof of address or;
- NZ firearms licence + proof of address
Once you have your Travelex Money Card, you need to register it online, here.
You can manage and check your balance online at any time.
Does a Travelex Money Card cost to use?
The initial (and replacement) Travelex Money Card is free. However, there are some associated fees when using the card, including:
- Distribution outlet reload fee
- Bill payment reload fee of 1%
- NZ$5 additional card fee
- 2.95% domestic ATM withdrawal and POS transaction fee
- NZ$4/month inactivity fee
- NZ$10 cash out/card closure fee
- Currency conversion fees