What is Jarden Direct?
Jarden Direct is a do-it-yourself share trading account offering access to New Zealand, Australia, US and UK markets through a desktop or mobile browser.
Unlike many other online share trading platforms, which trade on your behalf, Jarden Direct provide do-it-yourself direct trading. This means you own the shares outright.
What can people invest in through Jarden Direct?
Through your Jarden Direct share trading account, you can invest in both the New Zealand and Australian markets, as well as in the US and UK stock markets.
Through Jarden Direct you can invest in:
- Shares: When you buy shares, you invest in a particular company, like Tesla or Facebook. Shares can be bought or sold between people on an exchange, which is a market where people can trade shares.
- Exchange traded funds: ETFs are a group of different assets rather than one particular company, but they trade like shares on an exchange. Think of it in terms of a bakery. Buying individual doughnuts is like buying shares. You pay the price for each different kind of doughnut. An ETF is like buying a box of doughnuts, you get all the different types, which can be grouped by a theme.
- Fixed interest securities: Fixed interest securities are debt investments that pay a fixed or floating rate of return. When a company wants to raise funds, it can issue bonds. The bond is like an IOU. As an investor, you are lending money to the issuer. You buy or invest in a bond and in return, the issuer intends to pay you interest and repay you in full at a date in the future.
Some key features of Jarden Direct include:
- No account fees
- Real-time data including market depth
- Access to market data and company information from Shareclarity
- Earn 0.25%-0.50% interest on cash in your cash account.
How much does it cost to invest with Jarden Securities
There is no minimum required to trade with Jarden Direct. However, a minimum fee of $29.90 applies per trade (on NZ trades), effectively setting a minimum trade amount.
The fees charged by Jarden Direct are:
- $29.90 on trades up to $15,000, + 0.20% on portion of trade above $15,000
- AU$29.00 per trade on AU shares, with a trade value up to AU$30,000, + 0.3% on portion of trade above AU$30,000
Jarden Direct offers a variety of payment options that incur different fees, depending on type and market.
There’s also a management fee built into the price of ETFs, charged by the fund manager. The fees are different for each fund, so check the fund info before you invest.
How do I sign up to Jarden Direct?
To be eligible to open a Jarden Direct account you must:
- Be a permanent resident of New Zealand or Australia
- Have a New Zealand bank account
- Have a New Zealand or Australian passport or driving license.
The application process can be done online here. You will need to provide proof of ID and a bank statement as part of the process.