Can NZ Citizens Get a Student Loan in Australia?

New Zealand and Australia have a bunch of reciprocal services and offerings for those hopping the ditch, but is a student loan one of them? Read this guide if you’re planning on heading to Straya for your tertiary studies.

Can New Zealanders get a student loan in Australia?

Most New Zealand citizens aren’t typically eligible for a student loan, or HELP loan, in Australia. However, they can access Commonwealth Supported Places (CSP) instead.

New Zealand citizens will only be charged domestic fees, as opposed to significantly higher international student fees.

Additionally, New Zealand citizens are entitled to study at Australian tertiary institutions without requiring a student visa, unlike other international students.

What is a CSP?

A Commonwealth Supported Place (CSP) is a place at a university or higher education provider when the government pays part of your fees. This part is a subsidy, not a loan, and you don’t have to pay it back.

However, this subsidy does not cover the entire cost of your study. The remaining portion is called the ‘student contribution amount,’ for which YOU are liable.

What’s the difference between a CSP and HELP loan?

A CSP and a HECS-HELP loan are not the same thing. A CSP is the subsidy paid by the government, and HECS-HELP is a loan you can get to pay your student contribution amount.

Eligibility for a CSP and HECS-HELP is not the same.

While most CSPs are for undergraduate study, only some providers offer CSPs at the postgraduate level. If you are a postgraduate student, you should check with your provider to see if they offer CSPs for your course.

Being eligible for a CSP does not guarantee that you will be offered one. You must meet the academic entry requirements set by your provider to get into the course.

Please note that the student contribution amount must be paid by the census date, and you will need to organise to pay this amount upfront.

Compare travel insurance with Canstar

Wherever you’re jetting off to in the world, arranging travel insurance before you leave is as essential as checking your passport is still valid. And to help you discover the best value cover, each year Canstar’s expert research panel awards the best travel insurance products and providers our Outstanding Value Travel Insurance Awards.

For coverage of this year’s winners and the complete rundown of our travel insurance star ratings, just hit the button below.

Compare travel insurance with Canstar

How can I get a CSP?

To get a CSP you must:

  • Check if the course you want to study is a CSP (call and ask your higher education provider or check their website)
  • Apply for the course: through a Tertiary Admissions Centre (TAC); or directly through your chosen higher education provider
  • Follow the instructions to ‘accept your offer’ in the letter that your provider will send you. The letter will tell you if the place you have been offered is a CSP or not
  • Complete your CSP and HECS-HELP loan application form given to you by your provider

What happens if I’m not in a CSP?

In some courses, there aren’t any CSPs, and in other courses, CSPs might be limited (not all courses and providers offer the same).

If you are not offered a CSP, you will be enrolled in a full fee-paying place when the government does not pay the subsidy, and you are responsible for paying the full amount for your fees.

Can some New Zealanders get a HELP loan?

Some New Zealand citizens can get a HELP loan. To be eligible for a HELP loan you must:

  • Be a New Zealand Special Category visa (SCV) holder or formerly be a Special Category Visa holder and on a pathway to Australian citizenship
  • Meet ALL of the long-term residency requirements; and
  • Be living in Australia while you study

The long-term residency requirements for New Zealand SCV holders (and former SCV holders) are that you:

  • First began to be usually resident in Australia at least 10 years ago, were a child under the age of 18 with no spouse or de facto partner when you first began to be usually resident in Australia, and
  • Have been in Australia for at least:
    • a total of eight out of the past 10 years (from when you apply for the loan), and
    • a total of 18 months out of the last two years (from when you apply for the loan)

If you do not meet ALL of the above requirements, you cannot get a HELP loan.

Can I get a NZ student loan when studying overseas?

If you plan to enroll at an overseas campus or through a New Zealand education provider, you may be eligible for a student loan or allowance through StudyLink. Typically, your payments will be the same as when you’re in New Zealand, but you will need to meet certain criteria:

  • Studying a full-time course at level 7 or above on the National Qualifications Framework
  • Studying at the overseas campus or delivery site
  • Studying part of your qualification in New Zealand

Click here to find more information about receiving a NZ student loan/allowance while studying overseas.

Compare Travel Money Cards

Headed off overseas and looking for the best in money cards? Here’s a rundown of some of the most popular cards in New Zealand:

Provider Key Features Main Fees

• 29 Currencies
• Instant international transfers
• Single-use virtual cards for secure shopping
• No monthly fee
• Exchange currencies with minimum fees
• Fee-free transfer between Revolut users
• 9 Currencies
• Earn Airpoints Dollars
• Use wherever Mastercard is accepted
• OneSmart app
• No load/reload fee for bank transfers
• Monthly fee: NZD $1 (if funds in account)
• 10 Currencies
• Use wherever Mastercard is accepted
• Cash Passport app
• No load/reload fee for bank transfers
• No monthly fee
• 9 Currencies
• Use wherever Mastercard is accepted
• No load/reload fee for bank transfers
• No monthly fee
• 40+ Currencies
• Free ATM withdrawal of up to NZ$350 per month
• Receive and add money to your Wise Account for free
• Physical card $14 one-off fee
Travelex Logo New • 9 Currencies
• Use wherever Mastercard is accepted
• Mastercard Priceless Cities benefits
• Free overseas ATM withdrawals
• No load/reload fee for bank transfers
• No monthly fee
The display order does not reflect any ranking or rating by Canstar. This information is not an endorsement by Canstar of travel money cards or any specific provider. Information correct as of 20/09/23. For full pricing details see individual providers’ websites.

Compare Travel Money Cards

About the author of this page

This report was written by Canstar Content Producer, Caitlin Bingham. Caitlin is an experienced writer whose passion for creativity led her to study communication and journalism. She began her career freelancing as a content writer, before joining the Canstar team.

Enjoy reading this article?

You can like us on Facebook and get social, or sign up to receive more news like this straight to your inbox.

By subscribing you agree to the Canstar Privacy Policy

Share this article