Finding the best car insurance isn’t always easy. Not only do insurers make it hard to compare prices, but their policies and deals change depending on things such as your age, driving history, or even where you leave your car parked.
Thankfully, middle-aged drivers tend to get some of the best car insurance rates around. That’s of course assuming you haven’t spent your driving years rear-ending cars. But for most, you should be able to get a great rate for your new mid-life motorcycle or convertible!
Below, we take a look at the insurers who we awarded 5-Stars for Oustanding Value (drivers aged 30-49) in our latest Car Insurance Awards, as well as some tips and tricks on how to save. So you can get the best car insurance for you.
Car insurance for drivers aged 30-49: What’s the story?
Most drivers in this age bracket have had plenty of years on the road. And when it comes to car insurance, that history can be your best friend, or your worst enemy. If you’ve got years of clean driving under your belt, you will be offered favourable car insurance rates. But if you’ve spent your years racking up insurance claims, or possibly even demerit points, your insurer will offer you a price that reflects that risk.
But even if you have a clean driving record, and the insurance rates are in your favour, there are still plenty of tips and tricks to help you save even further.
→Related article: Fuel Apps and Websites That can Help You Save on Petrol
How to save on insurance
Some tips to help you get the best deal on car insurance include:
- Choose a higher excess – doing so means you’ll have to pay more when making a claim, but will bring down premiums
- Pay upfront – instead of paying monthly, you can pay for the whole year up front for a discount
- Shop around – compare providers to find which ones could be best for you. Then, get a few quotes from those providers to get the best price
- Keep your car secure – if you have a garage or secure off-street parking, your car is at less risk of break-ins. Which can bring down the price of insurance
- Drive safely – accidents or even road violations can impact your insurance. A clean driving history can get you better deals, and benefits like no claims bonuses
- Limit who can drive your car – excluding cover for young drivers can help you save on premiums
- Bundle your insurance – does your provider also have home and contents insurance? Bundling both can earn you a discount. Make sure any other policies are both a good deal and right for you
- Insure your car for its market value – this means instead of insuring your car for a fixed price (agreed value) your car is insured for what it is worth at the time of any accident. Roughly, what the car would’ve sold for on Trade Me
- Choose your extras carefully – there are plenty of add-ons to be had. But if they come at an extra cost, make sure they’re worth it
- Buy online – most of us buy online anyway. But if you’re one of the few people going in-store to get your insurance, you’re probably paying more than you have to
The best car insurance: drivers aged 30-49
Each year, we release our car insurance awards, covering winners for Insurer of the Year, Outstanding Value, and Most Satisfied Customers. As part of our award results, you can view our Outstanding Value Star Ratings for different age groups, to help you find the best car insurance for you and your family. You can view our 5-Star winners for drivers 30-49 below, or click here to view our car insurance Star Ratings, in full.
About the author of this page
This report was written by Canstar Content Producer, Andrew Broadley. Andrew is an experienced writer with a wide range of industry experience. Starting out, he cut his teeth working as a writer for print and online magazines, and he has worked in both journalism and editorial roles. His content has covered lifestyle and culture, marketing and, more recently, finance for Canstar.